Friday, April 19, 2013

Chocolate Protein Macaroons 4-19-13

Good morning and happy Friday friends!!

Hope everyones' week has gone well.  Tomorrow I am running another half marathon.  Woo Hoo that makes four in less than a year!

This is a quick recipe that I threw together with coconut, egg whites, stevia and protein powder.  I made some macaroons and a cute little Easter display for everyone at work and have since been on a macaroon kick.

 Rather than eat them the way they are normally made with tons of sugar I made a few changes and came up with a less indulgent treat with a little added protein. 

Protein Macaroons
1 c egg whites
3 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1 scoop Garden of Life Raw Chocolate Protein powder
1 tbsp stevia



In a large cold bowl, yes it matters that it is cold.  Egg whites form better in a cold bowl so don't do this when its really hot in your kitchen or with a bowl that just came out of the dish washer, it will end badly (yes I have made this mistake more than once).  When the egg whites have formed stiff peaks add in stevia and protein powder then beat a little more.  Toss coconut in and lightly, very lightly toss the coconut in otherwise you will end with a wet mess that does not resemble macaroons.  Scoop out with an ice cream scooper and place on a cookie sheet or pan covered with wax paper.  I also choose to smear some coconut oil on the wax paper, I had a stuck to pan fiasco that I wanted to avoid!  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool before removing from the pan.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment