Monday, April 29, 2013

Start of Marathon Training!!! Salad Nicoise 4-29-13

Happy Monday!  Hope everyone had a relaxing weekend.

So, I sat read this hilarious book about training for your first marathon with lots of tips and a few different training plans.  If you ever think about running a full marathon pick up this book, it was a fun easy read.  The Non runners Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais.

Good thing, I'm already running a sufficient amount during the week.  Bad thing, I have to double my long runs.....eeekkk!  I also bought some new running shoes this weekend and let me just say I love how cushy they are.  I went to a local running shop and the guy there was really helpful.  I told him what I have been running in and the issues I have been having with those shoes.  He had me walk around bare foot, measured and inspected my feet.  He showed me a few shoes he thought I would like and the first one I tried on I fell in love with.  Big surprise to me, the last pair I bought were for pronators, my Mizunos were over correcting making my foot placement off a bit.  I really wanted to go for a run yesterday but it was a "rest" day, boo.  Instead I sat down with my calendar and wrote out my runs and work outs for the week, in an attempt to plan out my training.  I've decided not to follow any specific training plan, instead I joined USA Fit Rio a running group that will be training for the full marathon at Duke City this year.  What a coincidence thats the one I will do.  Not exited about having to drive to Rio Rancho every Saturday at 7am for long runs but it will get me outside and off the treadmill, which I need to do more.  Today's run 3mi, nothing major because I have to make sure I survive the trainer torture session this afternoon ;0  

I'm doing another half marathon this weekend, Run for The Zoo.  This was my very first race.  I did this one way back in 7th grade, I think it was all of 1 mile and so fun.  I should have realized my love of running then!      

Salad Nicoise is one of my favorite salads and have been since I first made it in culinary school years.
Its a simple constructed salad that is quite pretty.

3 Hard boiled eggs
Tomatoes
Thinly Sliced Red Onion
Steamed Green Beans
1 Avocado
1 small jar Artichoke Hearts
Kale
Spinach
Arugula
1 can Tuna in oil
1 tbsp Dijon
1 tbsp Minced Shallots
Sea Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 lemon juiced
Fresh Thyme, Oregano and Basil
To make the vinaigrette, drain tuna and save oil.  Chop shallots very small.  Whisk in small bowl oil, shallots, dijon, vinegar, herbs, Salt and Pepper to taste and lemon juice.  In a bowl toss greens.  Arrange all salad toppings on top of greens.  Drizzle with dressing.  I had enough for 3 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment