Thursday, April 4, 2013

Do you like German Chocolate Cake? 04-04-13

Hello friends!

Can you believe it, 2 recipes in 2 days, wow I'm on a roll.  ;)

I saw a recipe a few weeks ago that couldn't stop thinking about.  German Chocolate Cake is one of my favorites, but I haven't had it in so long......all the sugar, dairy, more sugar, white flour......pretty much all things I try to avoid.  This pie needed a little bit of tweaking of course.  This is what came up with and enjoyed for Easter!


1 can lite coconut milk
1/2 c agave 
1/4 c coconut oil
2 whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 oz dark chocolate chips
1/2 c egg whites
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut 
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1 1/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup flax meal
2/3 c coconut oil
5 tbsp ice cold water



In one pot heat coconut milk, agave, whole eggs, vanilla and sea salt.  This should be brought to a simmer over medium heat.  In a separate pot heat chocolate and coconut oil.  This needs to be done over low heat, the chocolate will melt quickly.  Once it is fully melted pour into milk mixture and stir thoroughly.  Allow to cool.  While cooling, whip egg whites until stiff.  Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, stir in 3/4 c of the coconut and 1/2 c of the pecans.  



 In a failed attempt at keeping myself from having too much chocolate I immediately filled the pan with soapy water so I wouldn't eat all the chocolate left in the pan.

The crust is very easy, mix flour, flax and coconut oil in large bowl.  Slowly add icy cold water, may not need all of it.  Only add water until it forms a dough.  Divide the dough into 2 balls and allow to cool in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.  


Press into the bottom of a pie plate and bake for 15 minutes at 350. Split the chocolate mixture between the two pie plates.  Top with remaining coconut and pecans.  Bake for 40 minutes.  Allow to cool before eating.  I liked it better cold from the fridge.  


I really enjoyed this pie and so did some of my family, as well as the awesome trainer!
I hope you give it a try, its totally worth it.  And since the recipe makes 2 feel free to share ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment