Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Fig Protein Snack Bars 4-16-13

Good Morning friends!

I hope you all are wearing a race tee shirt today in support of those affected by the horrific bombing yesterday at the Boston Marathon.  Even if your not a runner wear one.  If you don't have a race t-shirt, borrow one!  I can tell you, I and just about any other runner I know have many and would happily lend you one.

I've read that many runners who had finished their 26.2 miles and then proceeded to run to the near by hospitals to donate blood.  That is an amazing act that exemplifies the spirit of the running community.  My heart goes out to all of those affected by the tragedy of yesterday.

I've been asked to share this recipe by a few people so here is my fig bars.  I think they taste like fig newtons with out the crust, and a basic almond flour crust could be added to make them even more similar.  There is a recipe in one of my previous posts for a crust that would work well.  I also did a little calculation and found out that they are approximately 110 calories per bar, 17g carbs and 3g protein.  These are just estimates.  The protein can be increased by adding more protein powder.  I may add a little more next time.


Fig Bars
1 cup almonds
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup figs, chopped
1 scoop vanilla Garden of Life Raw Protein




















Place first three ingredients in a food processor and pulse until begin to form a uniform texture and forms a giant ball.  Place mixture in a large bowl and add protein, mix with your hands.



















Smash down into a rectangle pan lined with plastic wrap or wax paper, place another layer of wrap on top and smoosh down again.  This takes a little attention, you want to be sure they are even so your bars are not unequally portion.


I used a rolling pin to smooth them out evenly, but a cup or a can could work well also.  Refrigerate for a few hours and cut into 16 bars.  Store in the fridge and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment