Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Banana Crusted Scallops 1-16-13

Good Evening Friends!  Hope you had a happy hump day ;)  Its been so cold at work, today in our clinic it was 60 degrees for most of the day!  Poor babies that had to be undressed and weighed.  Oh the joys of working in a building that just had its 75th birthday.  I have found myself day dreaming about summer and the wonderful rip fruit to come.  I love winter foods but after freezing all day I wanted all things summer. 
Banana Crusted Scallops. I love crunchy crusts of fish but I don't love the breading typically used.  I have been meaning to make this for some time now.  It was surprisingly easy.   
 
Scallops must be fully thawed and patted dry with a paper towel.  I salt and pepper mine immediately after drying. 
 
As dry as I can get them.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Banana chips and egg wash.
Brown in a Saute pan over med-high heat. 
 
Turn once and only once, the more you handle them the less "breading" you'll have. 
Transfer to a baking dish and finish in oven.
While cooking make mango salsa.
I served my scallops with a mountain of broccoli and green beans. 
OK, I know this is not a winter dish and would be much better with perfectly ripened summer fruit but it was still pretty good.  I couldn't help it I MISS SUMMER and HEAT :)
 
 
Banana Crusted Scallops
6 Scallops
1/2 c Banana chips, I use unsweetened ones
1 egg
Salt and pepper
1 large firm but ripe Mango
1 large Jalapeno
3 Mint leafs
1/4 c Red Onion
1 large clove Garlic
1 lime, juiced
1 cup segmented citrus of your choice, I used pre cut mixed citrus I got at Whole Foods
 
Pat scallops dry, on both sides sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Beat egg in small dish and set a side.  Pulse banana chips in food processor or mixer with salt and pepper.  (I left mine a little too big, grind them smaller than I did it will work better)  Dip scallops in egg then in banana chips.  Spray saute pan with your choice of oil.  I used a garlic infused extra virgin olive oil.  Brown on each side, only flip them once.  This is just to brown the egg and banana crust.  Then spray baking dish and place scallops in oven.  Bake for about 10-15 minutes at 350F.  The hard part let them sit for a few minutes otherwise the breading will FALL OFF!  While these are baking place half mango, jalapeno, onion, garlic, mint, lime juice and citrus in chopper and pulse until small pieces.  Cube the other half of the mango and stir into salsa.  Top scallops with mango salsa and serve with veggies or greens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment