Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie, ice cream and 10 miles 1-19-13

Good evening friends!!!

Yup, I ran 10 miles today, that made for a 24 mile week!  Woo Hoo!!!  I'm getting ready for another half and feel like I have a new PR coming my way ;)
With all this running I decided I would treat myself to ice cream.  No I didn't make it, but I do have an ice cream maker and should have just pulled it out.  I bought something I found at Sprouts.  I'm not sure it was worth the splurge.  I ended up putting almond butta on it because it didn't taste like chocolate peanut butter.  I got the chocolate flavor, sort of, but no peanuts, and if you can't tell I'm kind of a nut fanatic! 
It only has 150 cals for the whole pint!! Really that is what sold me on it but next time I will just make some.

So I came home and made this Chicken Pot Pie with butternut squash crust.  It was better than expected.  What made it really great was the fresh herbs from my little herb plants. 
 





Chicken Pot Pie
1 lg Chicken Breast
1 celery stalk
1/4 c onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 c mushroom
1/2 c turnip
2 c vegetable broth
1 c peas, carrots and corn
1 tsp Italian oregano
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Season chicken breast, I used my favorite Organic No salt Seasoning from Costco.  Cook chicken whole in skillet when cooked, remove and cube.  Add veggies to skillet and cook until tender, add herbs, chicken and broth.  Cook about 10 minutes, longer if you want the broth to cook down. 

Butternut Squash Crust
1/2 c butternut squash puree
1/3 c coconut flour
1/3 c almond meal
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
3 sage leaves
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp Thyme

Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until forms dough ball.  Makes 2 tops.  Split in half and press one ball out into a circle and top baking dish (24oz corningwear pictured above) with chicken and vegetable mix.  Bake 350 for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment