Friday, January 4, 2013

Oat Muffins and Salmon with Strawberry Balsamic Sauce, 1-4-13

Happy Friday friends!!
I had the best day at work, we did a retreat and spent the day playing team building games.  I found out so much about myself.  I have always considered myself to be a bit of an introvert but apparently I am innately an extrovert.  Haha I guess it shouldn't surprise me since I am sitting her blogging about my life ;0 I learned so much about my wonderful co-workers and have a new appreciation for all that they do.  If your reading (hopefully you are since my blog from last night was passed around on a phone today) I feel very lucky to work with such kind giving women!

Since we met at a training center and I had to be there a bit earlier than normal I stopped by and spent a little of the gift care my awesome brother and sister in law gave me for Christmas. 


I also took a home made oat muffin that has no flour or sugar!  Its one of my new favorite breakfasts and perfect for early mornings on the go. 


Oat Muffin with Cranberries and Pecans
1 c Steel Cut Oats
1/3 c Flax, ground
3 whole Eggs
1 Banana
1/2 c Pumpkin puree, unsweetened
1/3 c Cranberries, I use Eden Organic Dried Apple Sweetened
1/3 c Pecans, chopped
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

Mash banana, add eggs and whisk.  Add flax, pumpkin pie spice and oats in large bowl, mix until smooth.  Fold in oats, pecans and cranberries.  Can be slit into 6 regular size muffin tins or 3 large muffin tins.  I like the large ones because its perfect breakfast size.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350.  Let cool before removing from the tins.  Can be stored in refrigerator for up to about a week, longer if frozen. 

I must be missing summer because I wanted to make my favorite Salmon and Strawberry Balsamic Sauce.  I'm having sushi for my aunts birthday tonight, which should be interesting since I don't like to eat rice.  So I will share the recipe and maybe someone else will get to enjoy it.  I promise it is sure to please!  I served it with quinoa and green beans. 


Salmon and Strawberry Balsamic
4 Salmon Steaks
1 Garlic clove
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 c Strawberries, fresh
1/2 c Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp Honey

Chop garlic.  Place Salmon in baking dish, drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, top with Garlic.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake 365 for 15-20 minutes.  Time varies depending on Salmon Steak size.  Mine were small about 4oz or less each.  While baking, slice Strawberries.  In medium sauce pan simmer Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar until Strawberries can be smashed with a fork, 5-10 minutes.  Add Honey and simmer another 5 minutes.  Transfer Strawberry sauce into a blender, food processor and puree.  Can be pureed with hand mixer but makes a mess, I have the red stained tee shirt to prove it.  Top Salmon with sauce and serve. 

Enjoy and have a great Friday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment