Thursday, January 31, 2013

Movie and Herbed Lemon Salmon 1-31-13

Good Evening friends!!
Hope everyone is well.  I have a salmon recipe to share this evening but first I wanted to tell you about a movie I saw last night.

Hungry for a Change, here is the trailer from you tube. 
It was surprisingly interesting.  It really focuses on juicing and the benefits of consuming more vegetables and fruits.  Most people do not consume the suggested serving amounts of produce daily.  Juicing can definitely help up your intake.  Of course I'm a fan of increasing your fruit and vegetable intake and if its organic that is even better.  There is lots of discussion about the negative effects highly processed, genetically modified, food like substances.  Most of the food consumed now in the USA is a chemically altered food like substance.  Its really sad to see that even the vegetables and fruits most people are consuming have been genetically modified to withstand bad weather.  At one point in the video Jamie Oliver shows how much sugar our nations children are consuming daily, weekly, monthly and yearly in just milk.  I have not been a cows milk drinker for quite some time now and I can't imagine ever going back after seeing that.  Watch this, its about 90 minutes and provides so much information.  The experts who speak about the average Americans intake are all people who at one point were very unhealthy.  Many of them have gone through diet after diet.  Think about the amount of money spent on diet foods and quick fix weight loss schemes.  Those products are designed to fail you.  If they worked we would all be skinny and those companies would go out of business!  If they worked we would not keep paying for them. 
http://www.hungryforchange.tv/press

Ok, now to the food ;)
I have been trying to get a handle on my love of carbs so that means less baking and cooking up fancy foods.  I'm trying to eat more like this
And a little less like this 
So this weekend I roasted veggies, made turnip puree, acorn squash puree, spaghetti squash, baked lots chicken breasts and sliced them.  I also made this herb lemon salmon, which has been easily to pack and take for lunches all week. 
My hope was that I could simply portion out as I needed the meat or veggies and heat.  It has worked well, until I go to sleep.  This sleep eating thing I have issues has been pretty bad this week.  I have got to get a handle on it!  I cut out all sources of caffeine, tried teas, and meds.  I tied a shoe string to the fridge and freezer so the burst of cold air would wake me, it worked once :(  I have locked my bedroom door but it is a twist pull one so opens easily from the inside.  GRR!!!!  I will conquer this, I hope.  Anyway, here is the salmon recipe
 
Herbed Lemon Salmon
1.5lb salmon, skin removed (I got this from Costco, it was huge)
2 lemons
1/2 c Sage, Rosemary, Thyme (I pulled bunches of them off my new plants)
2 garlic cloves crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
 
Slice lemons.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on salmon.  Smear garlic on salmon.  Top with sliced lemons.  Sprinkle herbs.  Wrap in foil.  Bake 350F for about 35 minutes. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment