Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January 2, 2013 fruit and nut balls

Hello friends!  Hope everyone is having as great a day as I am.  
I don't know who created this but, I think its a perfect way to clean up my eating after holiday indulgences, who's in?????
 

One of the things I have heard the most since last night and my first post was "where is the after picture?" Well I did not post an "after picture" because after implies a finish or that my journey to healthy is done. I have lots more that I want to accomplish physically and this is a life long process with no end. An issue I have had before is I would loose and feel like I was done so I could go back to my old eating habits and lifestyle.  Through trial and error I have learned that does not work, for me.  Today my awesome trainer ever so kindly took my picture a few times.  I had planned to come home and add it to my blog but for some I'm not receiving it when he sends it!!! Grrr, tomorrow!

I was lucky enough to get off work a few hours earlier than normal so I had some extra time on my hands after I went to visit my mom, who just had surgery.  She was doing much better than I expected so I came home and of course started playing around in the kitchen!  (Get back in bed MOM!!!)  She is like the energizer bunny after surgery, I've been told I have the same problem.  Although I have no idea what they are talking about, nurses make the best patients, right?  I planned on making granola bars that I have made for my mom before but didn't have all of the ingredients on hand.  So in an attempt to avoid yet another trip to Wholefoods today's creation ended up being fruit and nut balls. I got the idea from a blog I currently love reading http://fitnessista.com she makes something called amazeballz that she has adapted from some other recipe she read.  There are many different recipes that I have found for similar balls.  These work great for an afternoon snack with a piece of fruit.  Today I had one with an Asian pear, if you haven't tried them they are AWESOME!! Sweet like a pear and crunchy like an apple.  I didn't think to take a picture as I inhaled mine so I found this online. 

Fruit and Nut balls
1/2 c Walnuts
1/2 c Pecans
1/2 c Pepitas
1/2 c Sunflower Seeds
1/2 c dried, unsweetened shredded coconut
3 Tbsp Chia Seeds
10 dates
3 c dried, chopped fruit (I used a tub of dried, unsweetened fruit from Sprouts)
1 c Almond Butter (unsweetened, no oil, just dry roasted almonds)
2 scoops Warrior Blend Raw Protein (SunWarrior brand)

Place dates in food processor and pulse until chopped to small chunks, add nuts and pulse a few times.  Add remaining ingredients into food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finally chopped and sticky.  Makes approximately 34 balls.  Store in refrigerator.  Any of the ingredients can be substituted for other fruit or nuts.  About 130 Cal's per ball, a little high I know but its no worse than a granola bar and these are way better for you! 
I of course couldn't wait to try one, they look a bit odd but were pretty delicious!
 

This past weekend everyone around me was sick.  I expected to end up with the bug that's going around and presumptively made chicken soup.  I don't usually eat rice or pasta so its loaded with veggies instead, that was dinner tonight after my fun filled work out.
My favorite I'm sick Chicken Soup:


  • 2 organic Chicken breasts
  • 1 c Peas
  • 1 c Corn
  • 1/2 c Green chili
  • 2 tbsp chopped Garlic
  • Vegetable broth, you can use chicken but most have added sugar or corn syrup!


  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalk
  • 1/2 onion
  • 3 sprigs fresh Oregano
 Roast chicken 350 for 25 minutes with your favorite seasoning, I used a organic no salt seasoning mixture I get from Costco.  While chicken is roasting saute celery, onion, garlic, carrot in large pot until tender, approximately 5-10 minutes.  I like my veggies firm so I do not cook it less.  When chicken is done roasting, remove from oven and let cool a few minutes, chop into bite size pieces.  Add chicken, oregano, chili and 4 cups of broth.  Simmer for another 5-10 minutes. 


*This soup may be thickened with 1 shredded zucchini.  I like my soup to have lots of broth, especially when I am sick so I didn't thicken it.  Add the zucchini when the broth is added and boil on medium for about 15 minuets.  As soup cools it will thicken. 

Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment