Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Stuffed Cabbage 1-8-13

Good evening friends!!!
Hope everyone had a calm Tuesday, mine was a bit sweaty!  Some days I think my awesome trainer is trying to kill me and today was definitely one of those days.  I came home STARVING and heated up some of the yummy stuffed cabbage I made and portioned out this weekend.  Thank goodness for quick, healthy meals. 
 
I know, it doesn't look like much but it will...... I promise!
 
Stuffed Cabbage
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 1 lb Beef ground, I had stew meat that I ground in my food processor
  • 1/2 Onion chopped
  • 1 tbsp Garlic chopped
  • 1/2 c Quinoa
  • 1 shredded Zucchini
  • 1 large can stewed Tomato
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh Oregano
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Pepper
 
 Cook your Quinoa according to the directions on the box.  Depending on what type you purchase it may be different but you want it fully cooked.  The idea is that it replaces rice in this recipe that my family ate often.  This is what I started with, a bag o' beef from the friend I have been cooking for!!
 
After the food processor and a few pulsing minutes I had this:
I added salt, pepper, onion and garlic to this meaty mound.  Stir in quinoa, it should come out to about 1 cup cooked.  While that is going on break apart your cabbage head and pile into a large pot.  Fill with water and place lid on top.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  It is just long enough to soften the cabbage so it can be wrapped around the meat stuffing.  Pour into colander and allow to strain. 
Spread cabbage out on to counter.  I ended up with about 12 good pieces of cabbage that I can wrap around a handful of meat. 
That is about 6 servings. Place rolls into a baking dish and pour can of stewed tomatoes over. Cover with foil and bake 350 F for 45 minutes. You can also portion out them into single servings like I showed above and freeze.  Its perfect for an easy ready to throw in the oven dinner. 
 
Served over steamed broccoli.  Hope you enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment