Monday, January 7, 2013

Funny story time and Frittata, 1-7-13

Happy Monday!

Whew am I glad Monday is almost over with, I had the hardest time getting up knowing it was back to full work weeks for me.  This weekend seemed to fly right by.  I spent the weekend catching with some old friends and cooking, lots!!!  Two of my favorite things of course!

I heard the funniest story Friday night that I just HAVE to share.  Two people are in bed sleeping.  Names will be omitted to protect their identify hehehe.  So, person one is awaken by person two moaning in her sleep, "Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, ect...."  Later person one asks person two what the dream was about.  Person two's response was "I was dreaming I was eating bacon!"  I'm not making this up, she actually was dreaming about BACON. 

I made this recipe for a friend I have been cooking for who is trying to eat healthier.  It was adapted from a recipe I wanted to try but didn't have all the needed ingredients.  My recipe makes a large frittata that can be portioned out and eaten all week long.  The recipe that gave me this idea can be found here
http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2013/1/4/kale-frittata-with-millet-crust.html and it looks amazing.

Bacon and Veggie Frittata with Quinoa Crust
2 c cooked Quinoa
9 egg
1/2 c Flax Meal
12 slices Turkey Bacon
8 oz Raw Cheese, shredded, any kind you have on hand
2 c spinach
1 bunch Asparagus
1 c Mushrooms
1 whole tomato
1 tbsp Organic No Salt Seasoning
Extra Virgin Olive Oil


Roast asparagus and mushrooms.  Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  Place on a cookie sheet and roast at 375 F for about 15 minutes.  The next time I do this I will chop the asparagus into bite size pieces, it would make slicing when done easier. 

 
 
I chose to use the two dark brown mushrooms in this recipe, they were tender and perfect with the eggs and cheese.  I love this pack and cant wait to try the large mushrooms.  
 
If your starting with dry quinoa like I did.  Cook fully and allow to cool before using.  I cooked about 1 cup dry according to the directions on the box.  Place in food processor and pulse with flax and egg and salt and pepper. 
 
Press into 2qt corningwear dish.  It would also work in a brownie pan but make sure to watch cooking times because it will be thinner and take less time to cook.  Brush with extra virgin olive oil.  Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375, it should be golden.
 
My favorite easy go to seasoning.  Mix eggs, roasted veggies, seasoning, bacon, tomato, spinach and cheese in a large bowl.  Add salt and pepper, if desired.  Pour into crust shell and bake 375 for a 45 minutes.  It should gently giggle when you move it.  If cooked too long it will dry out. 
 
I was able to slice it into 10 large wedges and served with greens. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment