Sunday, January 6, 2013

Not my Momma's Chop Suey 01-06-2013

Good evening friends, I hope you all had a great weekend! 

I have been wanting to make this dish for a few days now because I love the smell it reminds me of  such a sweet memory.  When I was a child my mother would spend just about every Sunday at her fathers cooking and cleaning.  I spent many hours at my mothers heels asking and tasting.  Its probably where I learned to create my own recipes.  I created my very first cookie recipe there and it was even an attempt at healthy!  My grandfather has always been very specific about his diet, surprisingly its similar to the way I currently eat.  Eventually I was took over the Sunday bake-a-thon at grandpas, but I will never forget watching that pot simmer on the stove bubbling away as mom added this and that.  I of course have made it a bit healthier and omitted the cornstarch she used to thicken but it is still just as aromatic.  This recipe made a large batch so I portioned and froze a lot of it.  Yay!! Its a veggie filled quick dinner. 

*this mushroom pack is a great way to try other mushrooms!  I only used the white ones for this recipe*


 
Chop Suey
 
2 organic Chicken breasts, cut in to small pieces
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 cup snap peas, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 c mushroom coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 c Braggs liquid amino's (its just like soy sauce)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 qt vegetable broth
1 can mini corn
1 can water chestnuts, sliced
1 can bamboo shoots
1 can bean sprouts
 
Brown chicken in pot with a drizzle of olive oil (this is just to avoid sticking), add celery, carrots, snap peas, bell pepper, onion and garlic, sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.  Cook until tender (this usually takes about 5-10 minutes but varies based on how large your veggies are chopped) add mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes.  Add broth and another qt of water bring to simmer.  In strainer combine corn, chestnuts, shoots and sprouts, then add to pot.  Simmer about 30 minutes over medium heat.  Salt and pepper to taste and add Braggs. 
 
This is one of those things that tastes better a day or two after.  The original recipe required cornstarch to thicken the broth, I choose to not use it.  If you want to use it I would recommend 3 tbsp cornstarch in cold water to thin, adding slowly to the pot of simmering Chop Suey while stirring.  This also makes stirring frequently during the cooking process a necessity to avoid clumping or burning.  The cornstarch always seems to settle if not mixed and cooked thoroughly. 
 
I know this recipe calls for lots of ingredients but I promise it is so worth it!  Any of the ingredients can be left out or even substituted without having to make other adjustments. 
 
My mother served it over rice, I don't eat rice so I just eat it as a soup.  It would probably be tasty over quinoa even barley if you prefer. 
 
I hope you enjoy this it is one of my favorites! 
 

1 comment: