Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1, 2013 A new year new me? Nah, same me just a whole lot healthier!

Where to start...... a little background!
I am a 31yro woman who has struggled with my weight my entire adult life.  I love food.  Love probably isn't even the right word but it is as close as I can get to describing my affinity for creating and eating wonderful meals.  As a child I spent countless hours cooking with both of my parents, grandmothers and eventually at my grandfathers as a teenager cooking meals for him weekly.  I went to culinary school right out of high school, that did NOT help my weight struggle.  It became an excuse to cook/bake and eat in mass quantity.  I spent years focused on the evil number on the scale, inactivity and a highly processed, high fat and sugar diet lead to 100+ pounds of excess weight. 

I have spent years taking that weight off and putting it right back on, my weight fluctuated like a child repeatedly blowing up a balloon.  At one point I had lost so much that I rewarded myself with a TUMMY TUCK and BREAST LIFT!  Of course I gained after surgery.  I had not changed my approach to food or exercise.  I have worked out off and on for years now.  I have been a runner for many years and it is still odd for me to call myself one, even though I have several half marathons, countless 5k and 10ks under my belt. 
Today's run 5.45 miles, 2% incline on the treadmill (it was too cold for me outside) in 60 minutes.
All of that brought me to another unhappy weight gain and a late night search for a personal trainer.  I for years thought "I don't need to pay someone to tell me what to do, I know what to do!  I have done this so many times!"  Well that was the problem.  I have done it with out it ever sticking.  I enlisted a friend to go with me for a consultation for the trainer.  We began seeing him 3x a week, food journaling and following a few food rules.  The first time we re-took my measurements I was SHOCKED!!! I had lost so many inches I couldn't believe it especially because I eat.  I am not one of those girls who doesn't eat, never have been and never will.  I'm eating a turkey burger as I type. 
 
This new approach to eating was working and it was something I could do forever.  That has always been my problem.  I do some fad diet, it works great and I loose.  Till.....it doesn't and I over indulge, feel guilty and end up stuffing my face for days on everything I had deprived myself of.  Now, I simply accept that I will have days that I eat unhealthy things.  I will never be perfect with my diet and would not want to.  I like that occasionally I make things like this:
 
And I enjoy every bite of it!!! 
Most of the time I eat like this:
Lettuce wraps and coconut peanut sauce.  All organic.  No added sugar or sweeteners.  Loaded with veggies and so delicious.  Do I have the perfect body I have always wanted, nope.  I have accepted that this is the body I have, the good and the bad.  I have learned to love my skinny muscular legs, my small booty, big arms and strong shoulders.  I know now I can not do anything to change them so I embrace them and work to make my body as healthy as possible.  I still see the great trainer and work on making myself as fit as I can be, which I have had to accept is very different than everyone else idea of fit.  I generally do not eat dairy, the occasional raw unpasteurized cheese.  I avoid sugar and use other natural sweeteners.  I probably single handed keep my favorite nut butter company in business.  I eat lots of vegetables and fruit, avoid most flours, white potatoes, rice (unless I have a sushi night), haven't had a coke or alcohol in months.  On the recommendation of more than one friend I have decided to share the recipes I have come up with and the great ones I find.  I do love to bake so many of my recipes will be tasty treats.  I have a sweet tooth that I can not get rid of so I find ways to manage it and prevent the feeling of deprivation.

Lettuce Wraps with Coconut Peanut Sauce
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 celery
  • 1 can water chestnuts
  • 1 stalk broccoli
  • 4 cloves garlic,
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger
  • 1/2 cup cilantro paste
  • 1/2 cup Braggs
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can coconut milk, (no sweeteners added)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (chunky works nicely)
  • 1 clove garlic chopped
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • Bibb lettuce (romaine and iceberg work as well)
(All ingredients are organic)  Place chicken in food processor and pulse a few times to chop up.  Next, add remaining vegetables and pulse until everything is small chopped.  Place on cookie sheet and bake 350 for about 35 minutes.  This could be sauteed but it comes out just as good in the oven and takes less work.  In a small sauce pan add coconut milk, peanut butter, garlic and ginger over medium low heat, bring to a boil and set a side.  Serve as picture above and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment